Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"She never mentions the word addiction..."

There may need to be some sort of organization like AA for people like me. Honestly. I am man enough to admit it though, heck I admitted it to a guy I just met last night! 

I'm addicted to my blog. I love it. I love writing. I love hearing thoughts on my thoughts. I love having thoughts. I love having conversations with people that I know will lead to blog entries. I love having conversations.

So now that we have established that...

Last night I had a great conversations with friends about our generation verses the generation of our parents, and why we so openly admit life in the "real world". We agreed around the table that none of us liked the real world, and that there seems to be more and more people in our generation that want to be more mobile in their jobs, want to have more diversity in how they spend their time, and basically have the want and need almost to not be tied down or locked in to just one job. Basically it brings a whole new meaning to 'diversity' in the workplace. We talked about how culture has changed from when our parents were graduating college, or at least were our age, and how culture is now. It's definitely an interesting contrast.

Back then there were so many less options available to people, and not many people got to truly be what they wanted to be when they grew up. Heck, people didn't even know what options were available to them, whereas now we are told from when we are little that we can be whatever we want to be and we have so many options available to us and they all look so appealing. The thing about it all is that when it really comes down to it, we are so focused on the immediate and the now and the instant. We're all about instant gratification now, from our phones to our cars to our attitudes, to even our relationships with people. 

It's a sad and crappy way to be, to be honest. I love challenging myself to be able to slow down and enjoy life, enjoy people, enjoy experiences. Try and do the same for yourself, you'll find it's worth it.

There's so many more thoughts to be discussed than can be talked about on here. Let's have a great conversation sometime about it, I would love it.

No comments: