Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Just call me "Jazz". It's pretty much my name...yeah.

So I'm sitting here watching some American Idol with my roommate, a fairly regular occurrence. Well I mean, sitting and watching TV, not necessarily American Idol. However, I love it and it's hilarious. Sure it's a great time watching the really heart warming stories and also to be able to hear from the very beginning of the people who will eventually make it to the finals and to follow their story. Really though, let's just call a spade a spade here my friends...we all watch to see the people that just suck something awful. You know what I'm talking about..."We're brothers forevvveerrrrr..." 

Seriously though, then they also showed the not so positive reactions of people after they were told in such eloquent language as Simon could put it (sarcasm font on there) that they were just not cut out for the musical performing side of life. What really got to me once again, and what gets to me every season...is that there is a pretty large and significant amount of people who try out that think they are truly the next American Idol. I feel bad for these people on one hand, because they don't have anyone in their lives that are willing to break the news to them that they really aren't that great. I'm mean sure, everyone dreams of breaking it big and having thousands upon thousands of people singing your songs and basically worshipping you. The money, the fame, the roadies; sounds good to me right? Also though, it hurts people that most have no idea what types of songs are good for their voices and sounds. They always try songs that aren't good in their range or are written for vocal freaks, of which they are not. At least not in the positive sense. Also, let's go ahead and say that if you feel the need to result to some gimmick to get Simon, Paula, Randy, and Kara's attention you probably know already that you aren't getting their attention with your voice; in you know, a singing competition. 

Really though, it makes me even more grateful and thankful for the presence of Christ in my life. Through Him I know who I am, my identity is found and secured in Him and His life through me. I don't have to go grasping at straws like an American Idol audition to seek significance in my life. As followers of the living God we serve and live for an audience of One. How amazing it is and refreshing that we don't have to worry about those crazy things that never fulfill and always leave us lacking? There's so many things that this carries over into and so many other avenues of life that performing and living just for an audience of One will do for you. Freedom in Christ...I love it. 

No comments: