Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I will not be disqualified.

So I must apologize, as lately I have been lacking and slacking on the posting front. It has been a crazy week or so, with moving into a new house that my roommate bought and trying to get that quite unsuccessfully organized. It's great to have all sorts of space now though, but Bailey freaks out all the time so we'll hope for a quick adjustment period for her. 

In other news though, we have our first coaches meeting for Central Crossing Track & Field tomorrow, and then on Thursday our first informational meeting with kids after school. If you didn't know, this is my love affair of a sport for the past four years. I can't even believe that I am starting my fifth year of coaching T&F, but here I am. Also, I'm really excited at the prospect of being the head sprint coach this year and potentially the Assistant Head Coach of the program! This may not sound like anything crazy to any of you, but for me it is a step towards a hopeful goal of mine, which is to eventually be a head coach of a high school track program. I just can't imagine the amount of influence you could have on kids in a very long term way as the head coach of a sport like track. No other sport do you really train with the athletes, no other sport is both team and individually oriented, and no other sport is the perfect parallel to a life with Christ.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 - "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified to for the prize."

I mean seriously...how perfect of a verse is that? The parallels are incredible, as also if you continue it on to ministry you have the importance of finishing strong and ensuring a good and successful handoff of the baton to the next leg. That can work for the leadership of the team as well, from seniors down to juniors. There are just so many similarities and useful connections that go from coaching to making a disciple in the Lord.

So for these reasons and more I cannot wait for this meeting tomorrow. You wanna see me come alive? Ask me about track...

1 comment:

Liza Ambrose said...

that is so true! i had never thought of the parallels between walking with Christ and being on a track team...its funny that you posted this, because as I think to all of the girls we minister to in St. Louis, most of them are on either the track or XC team, or both! :)