Friday, January 16, 2009

Frozen.

It's cold here in Columbus. Really effing cold. Coldest I think I've ever experienced. Coldest I never want to experience again. Anyways, since most of you who are reading this are experiencing the same frigidness or perhaps worse, there's not a whole lot more I can say or want to say about this. Is it spring yet?

Moving on...this past weekend a great friend was in town, Robbie Meleney. He and I met and became close over our summer staff assignment at LC while both staying in Cabin Cuatro. Well we just had a great time hanging out with a bunch of my friends for dinner, 24, Mac's, breakfast, lunch, getting into the Horseshoe, and just talking about all sorts of things together. We had a great conversation at one point while driving around to one of these destinations about Jim Rayburn, as Robbie has been reading "Dance, Children, Dance". The one thing that we talked a pretty decent amount about was how much time Rayburn spent in prayer during his life. Towards the end we concluded that he spent between 3-4 hours on average of prayer a day. Now our figure could be grossly inflated as to fit in with the legend of Rayburn in minds like ours, but also the big thing is that whereas we spend time driving around in our own cars and have all sorts of radio, cd, ipod options; Rayburn traveled a lot by train and had nearly none of those options for his listening pleasure. 

Thank God that he didn't. His intense time in prayer must be viewed as a direct reason for God's incredible blessing and watching over of Young Life. What would happen if any other believers prayed like this? Whether or not we are YL leaders, it doesn't matter for spending time interceding for people with the Father. If we pray like Jim Rayburn, if we pray like Martin Luther, if we pray like Billy Graham, what would happen to the world we live in? I know that I have challenged myself all this week to keep the radio off and the prayer on. It's been difficult for sure, but it's also been fun and I've prayed more this week than I have in a given week in a very long time. I would challenge you all to do the same. Let's not just talk about the power of prayer anymore as believers and followers of Christ, let's actually live the power of prayer. I know that I'm very excited to see where God takes me through this and what He will do through this.

No comments: