Friday, December 26, 2008

Love Come Down.

So today (yesterday) was Christmas Day, a day of great food, decent to great company and family, and full of hope. 

Here's a brief rundown of my Christmas-time activities this year: 
24 - I traveled to meet my parents at my brother and family's house in Rossburg, Ohio after getting off work. It was a long drive, but more than worth seeing my little niece and nephews. Although they are all getting older, so little isn't quite the right term when the sophomore (Teage) is taller than me. After I got to experience a brief time of joy with them, my parents and I had to head home for church. It was great, as it always is, and the pastor, Bob Wade delivered his usual top-notch message. (hopefully this weekend I'll spend some time writing about this...) Then later that night I headed out to Southbrook for the late night service with one of my best friends and his little brother and we met up with old friends as we always do. It was quite joyous.
25 - Chill. Slept in. Opened stockings. Ate breakfast. Opened presents. Chilled out. Went to see Marley and Me with my parents, and it was surprisingly good. Ate dinner. Played cards, which my Dad proceeded to cheat at to win. This sets a disturbing trend, because he was apparently accused of trickery at my brother's house when they were all playing some trivia game before I arrived. Watched Transformers. Had a wonderful phone conversation with "Mambo #5", who never fails to bring joy into my life; I truly am blessed to have her in my life, as are many others.

The issue at hand though, that is so amazing about this time when people are constantly battling "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings", (Merry Christmas would be the correct phrase...) is that the Reason for the Season truly is one of hope. It is of the only hope that we as humans have for true life. I know that if you are a follower of Christ this is such a simple and elementary topic, but how beautiful is it in its simplicity? Our faith is centered on a God who became vulnerable. Our God is one of overflowing love and abundant sacrifice. Raise your hand if you think this life as a human being on the Earth is easy... I bet none of you did. The God that I love, worship, and give my life to, He came down because He loved me and you enough to jump into this life of crap. Love Came Down. He is merely extending His hand out to us through this act...He boldly stepped into a place where no other "god" would think of going or could bring himself to go. Because Jesus loved us that much He came down in love to allow us to be in a relationship with Him, and to free us from the crap of this life. 

"Have you ever dreamed of being free..." That's how the song "Love Come Down" by The War starts. I couldn't think of a better song or cry on this night. This time of year is when we celebrate the love coming down from Heaven to Earth and dwelling among us. Ask yourself if you have ever dreamed of being free...and then answer it honestly. If you have, now is a perfect time to grab the extended hand of God as we mark when He came down in love and to express His love to us. I did, almost ten years ago now, and everyday feel more and more free.

This time of year may not always be the best of times for everyone; maybe there are painful memories of loss, current grief, current horrible situations that just should not be, or perhaps just intense loneliness. But if any of us, in whatever great or horrible situation we are in, can focus on Love Coming Down, we will find this time immeasurably richer and we will find ourselves not just dreaming of being free...but being free indeed.

Thank you, tiny infant Jesus with your golden fleece diapers; 8 pounds 6 ounces, reading your Baby Einstein book; still omnipotent. 
Thank you God, for Love Come Down on that Holy night, that silent night.

No comments: