Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happenings.

So lately, life has got me thinking. I alluded to this in a previous post which had some specifics in it, but I also think that it's natural and innate (but obviously also pushed by the media) to look back at the previous year and even our lives as any year comes to a close. I suppose it's as good a time as any other to reflect back and work to change the future in our lives. 

Well in the past couple days I have been feeling that pull even more as a couple of things have started to come together, including the whole end of the year mentality,  that make me really evaluate things. For one I'm in a very exciting stage of life still where I have these two temporary jobs, but also am anticipating the future and a highly potential move out of state. Working for Young Life is a long awaited dream, goal, and calling of my mine and with all that has happened in the past couple years, the place where I am facing is really exciting. 

The other major happenstance in my life is more happenings in the lives of others. Within the last month, four couples now that I have been close with in my life have gotten engaged. Now don't get me wrong, I am obviously ridiculously happy and thrilled for these dear friends of mine. However, all but one of the 8 people are younger than I am; 3 haven't even graduated college yet! Now I'm not going to make this a post about poor unfortunate single me; not at all would I dream of doing that. I just want to point out that situations like this make one think... One of the couples involves a guy who had been my very best friend for most all of high school as well as college, until the last year and a half or so when our schedules just drifted apart to my disappointment. To my disappointment, I didn't know about his impending engagement but it would be in his nature to not tell anyone except his brother so I'm not going to get too bent out of shape, as I spoke with another of our best friends from high school a mere hours before this happened and he mentioned nothing of it. Again though, I couldn't be happier for him.

All of this makes me both simultaneously think of myself as old and yet not ready for life. I still feel like I'm in a holding pattern because I have two part time jobs while I "wait" for Young Life to come around. I feel like I'm in a holding pattern because I haven't been able to branch out from the YL group of friends here in Columbus nearly as much as I would have liked to. I feel like I'm in a holding pattern because I'm single. I feel like I'm in a holding pattern while everyone has all these fantastic happenings around me.

Maybe someone that actually reads this could shoot me some scripture for encouragement...yeah, that would be nice. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that thing I would say is to just keep working at whatever you're doing and it will come together. God has a plan for everybody in some way, shape, or form.I think you should glorify God in all that you do and God will bless you.

Jaclyn and Tyler said...

you may have read this verse in my blog a few days ago....so...maybe it will do something for you or not. but when i came across it i loved it.

"For we are not our own masters when we live or when we die. While we live, we live to please the Lord. And when we die, we go to be with the Lord. So in life and in death, we belong to the Lord" (Romans 14: 7-8).

in exactly what you are doing at this very moment in your life, the Lord is still your master and your only, greatest, opportunity is to be able to please him. thats it.

so single or not. temporarily employed or not. fantastic happenings or not. you are serving Him and this is pleasing to our Lord. :)