Sunday, February 1, 2009

It's a track thing, you wouldn't understand...

This past weekend was the clinic put on by the Ohio Association of Track & Cross Country Coaches and let me tell you, it was incredible. I actually feel like I know something about track! Ok well I did know things about track before but now it's actually knowing why we do certain things certain ways and whatnot. They talked about all sorts of biomechanics of sprint and running technique, block work, hurdles for both guys and girls and both distances, conditioning, strength training...and those were just the seminars that I attended! There was a whole plethora of other seminars on distance running, all the throws, all the jumps, and some random ones as well. 

(Right about now I'm gonna go get a bowl of cereal, just so you know. Smart Start, thanks to JJ Einsfeld.)
(K, I'm back now. Wanted to share that with you all.)

Like I alluded to in previous posts I just ate up everything this weekend and was probably the coach out of the hundreds who was most excited to be there. I took all sorts of notes, and the whole time was thinking of all my kids and how I really hope that I can help them improve in their track proficiency. Of course though, the hope in that will be to really strengthen the relationships therein and build toward being able to verbally share Christ with them either through Young Life or just an amazing opportunity that God alone would present me with. Unfortunately in my eyes, the fruit that I would have envisioned from kids on the track team hasn't materialized for the two years I've been coaching at CCHS, but with the way that things have been happening this year I'm very hopeful that things will start to blow up. The first step is to remember names of kids I haven't seen since last track season ended...which I know may sound bad from a YL leader's perspective, but seriously I can't see every kid every day although I certainly wish I could. It breaks your heart, but that's the way that it's supposed to be. We just have to trust in God enough and have faith that He is moving and things will move according to His plan. Along those lines, something that I always tell my team that is sometimes hard for me to follow on my own is: God is infinitely more interested in what He is doing in you, than through you. 

So the question then becomes, what is God doing in me through this whole process? What is He doing in my currently, and what does He want to show me? What should I learn, what should I correct, what should I let go of? God is actively pursuing me, and He is actively pursuing you, so what are we going to do...keep running or turn and spend our lives in the presence of the Living God?

No comments: