Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Follow me?

I recently decided to start reading in my time with the Lord at the beginning of John. To be honest, for most of December and January I wasn't doing so hot with God, and my life showed it accordingly. However, one of my great friends Brandon pointed out that even though we may know it and acknowledge our struggles to God in a feeble attempt to straighten things out, there is truly power and help and grace in confession. So I confessed to Brandon that I wasn't consistently getting in God's word and wasn't wholeheartedly spending any real time with Him. Brandon was a great brother and received it with grace and handed back grace to me, along with gentle guidance and the words I needed to hear in love. So a public thank you goes out to my boy holdin' it down at VT. 

Anyways, a thought I had while reading the first chapter of John for what seems like the umpteenth (somehow that's a real word to my Mac...it didn't red underline it like it did with "holdin'") (weird) time, it stuck out to me that somehow most of the disciples that began to follow Christ knew who he was and very confidently proclaimed it. They were excited for the Messiah who was to come and lead their people. Now either the God revealed the mystery to them in an unrecorded way, or they jumped up and followed just about any guy who came along claiming that he fulfilled an ounce of messianic prophecy. I'd really like to think the latter didn't happen but who knows? Well the thing about this that I thought was interesting was how readily they were able to identify their Messiah. 

I had a thought about this whole interesting set of exchanges a while back and asked Erik Hofmann about whether I would be able to just ask a kid to follow me to camp that I didn't know and have it work like it did for Jesus. Obviously I'm not God in the flesh, but he mentioned that he thought it wasn't exactly a cold thing...Jesus had established himself at the very least as an upstanding, trustworthy, and model citizen that people probably liked being around. Well that might be true...but debating history isn't what I've come here for. In now tying things all together, I want to be so sure of who and where Jesus is that it looks like how the disciples did when they started following Him. 

"Chad, follow me." ~ Jesus

Think about it...how well do you know Jesus? Would you drop everything to follow Him if He called you?

No comments: